Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Artisan Crafts Web Roundup: My Latest Favs

So, I have been browsing the web lately, checking out websites of folks doing the handcrafting thing. That is, making beautiful items and selling them to the public, with little marketing and no mass manufacturing. I thought I would share a few artisans that are piquing my interest.





1. Sweet Baby Cakes
To be fair, this is my website. I have been making diaper cakes for family, and after seeing the local businesses that sell them, I thought I would throw my hat into the ring. I don't use rubber bands, and always place full-sized baby products inside my cakes. Prices are reasonable, and I ship all over the U.S!



2. Yarny Things 
Ok, so for those who think crocheting is for old ladies in a nursing home, making doilies, you are so wrong! Crocheted and knitted accessories are the best, especially in the winter, and I have just stumbled on what I think may be my favorite baby hats ever! This is the Etsy (not Regretsy, lol, sorry I couldn't resist) shop of Susan Sibley. Her scarves are gorgeous (love the ash gray and pink one, going to pick it up before fall for myself) and seriously, the baby hats are too cute! Love the prices and photography is pretty great too.



3. CW Fashion Cameo Jewelry

This is the site of a true artisan jewelry maker, specializing in cameo rings, bracelets and pendants. I received a ring for my birthday, the one to the left (Three Muses) and was wowed by the quality for such a reasonable price. She makes these rings by hand, no major tools or mass production, and offers cameos made from agate, and other materials. All products are available in genuine silver or gold, and in any size you need, at no extra charge! I about lost it when I read that, cause all of my rings are usually special order, which means expensive. Not so with CW. Check them out if you love elegant and unique jewelry made with extra attention to detail.

4. Heather Elizabeth Designs

If you love New Orleans, if you love the south, if you love gorgeous jewelry and funky home accents, then this is the place for you. Heather creates custom jewelry using local logos of companies long since closed, photos of our famous architecture (such as St. Louis Cathedral) and street signs, to name a few. I am buying some of her night lights as gifts for Christmas this year, I love them so much (this is after I buy some things for myself of course). She isn't super expensive, but her prices aren't too unreasonable, as the quality looks superb.


If you are crafty, and make things that are beautiful, start selling them on the Web! In fact, I decided to do just that! Got my own site up and running, and darn proud of it too. If you make fantastic stuff, let me know, and I will be happy to share with others!

No comments:

Post a Comment