Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Fab Fall Roundup: What's Rocking My World

Hi ya'll, sorry it's taken me sooo long to post. Been so busy, we moved into our first home (yay!) and that combined with work combined with Short Stack's school life has kept me busier than I would like. We just bought a 1950's ranch-style home, in an older neighborhood with beautiful oak trees and more renovations than we can afford. But it's ours! Got a great yard, nice old (I do mean OLD ) neighbors, and the same school our kiddo was attending before. Its all good in our hood ya'll. Got a swingset to pick up next week, and we had a big Halloween bash, so we are settling in just great.

Now, as promised, I want to share with you some things that are catching my eye, rocking my world, and helping me recharge and enjoy this time of year. Some random items, some good tunes, you name it, I got something for ya!



MUSIC
I am known for being a music snob. It's true, and I am OK with it. I tend to veer away from the pop stuff, in favor of indie rock, alternative, singer-songwriters, and UK fabulousness. If it's not on the radio, I tend to enjoy, not sure why! Anyway, here are some albums I think you might like, they are a bit off the beaten path, but they are sooo good:

Florence and the Machine- Ceremonials
Let me just say, Florence Welch has a voice like no other. It is haunting, lifting, and her songwriting takes me to a whole different plane. No drugs necessary, she is just that good. Her lead single includes the song "Shake it Out", which, if you don't get the album, get that single. Play it loudly. In your car. On repeat. All day. Rinse, repeat, be moved.

The Civil Wars-Barton Hollow
A little duo of Joy Williams and John Paul White, their title track "Barton Hollow" is a throwback to older country type roots music, with a great guitar backing and vocals that are fantastic. I love their music, and they write their own stuff, which just ups their awesome quotient.

Amos Lee-Mission Bell
For those not in the know, this guy is opening for Adele. For those who love Adele, that should sell you. For everyone else, Amos has been around for quite some time, with some great albums before Mission Bell. He is folksy, rock, ballad, you name it. His stuff comes from a great place, and his voice is so fantastic. I love his song "Windows are Rolled Down" and "Flower". Really hoping he will headline his own tour down to Louisiana this year. He's on my top "50 Artists to See Before I Croak" list (yes, there is such a list, and Florence and the Machine is on it too).


CLOTHING/ACCESSORIES
I work in retail. Enough said. Seriously, I am such a fan of gorgeous clothing, and though I love designer duds, I am a budget shopper to the end. To that end, here are few pieces I think are must haves for plus size gals. I also have some kids winter must haves that will last the whole season:

Tunics
If you have a bit of height, have a long torso, or have some gorgeous tall boots, you must have a tunic for this season. I have all of the above, and love long sleeved colorful tunics to dress up jean leggings or dress trousers with heels for an evening out. Two of my favorites: Johnny Was Silk Tunic Joe Browns All Occasion Tunic.

Boots
Gotta have some great boots for kicking it up in this great weather. My favorites: Samantha Riding Boot and Sidney Lace Back Boot

Kids Wear
I love shopping for winter coats. I love classic fashionable coats that make it through cold Louisiana days but still keep their shape and feel cozy. My favorite coat for the last few seasons is from Land's End. It's a pea coat made from fleece, not wool, so no scratchy feeling for the kids! It may not be warm enough for northern winters, but I can layer underneath to take the coldest day here in southern Louisiana. Short Stack loves it! Just be sure to wash it on cold gentle cycle and low dryer to avoid pilling. Fleece Pea Coat

New Nail Technology
As you may know, I am a DIY lady when it comes to nail care. I hate paying for salon services if I can do it at home, and the Gelish incident in a previous post has put me on the hunt for a gel manicure system I can afford to use at home. I was flipping through In Style Magazine, and I found a company called Red Carpet Manicure that offers a kit, complete with LED light, that allows you do get the same look as the salon at a fraction of the price! I have not purchased the kit yet, perhaps Spud will read this post and surprise me (yeah, shameless plug for gifts here!) but I will be buying the kit to "get my nails done" before an upcoming trip to San Antonio for my sister's graduation next month. As always, will return and report with results. Red Carpet Manicure Gel Starter Kit

Organizing
I have been made over into a scheduling diva, thanks to a simple item I found at Wal-Mart. It is a peel and apply calendar, placed on my fridge, that uses dry erase markers to fill in the days of the week. Although my desk is still a mess, although I still don't update my check register like a normal human, although my purse is usually full of receipts, kids snacks, and Legos, none of it matters. Cause "I know what we're gonna do today" (name that Disney cartoon guys!). I got my calendar, which uses different colored markers for each member of the family, to block off school holidays, our work schedules, doctors appointments, date nights, etc. I can't find the one I bought online (was around 5 bucks), but here is another that just might do the trick for your family: Room Mates Dry Erase Peel and Stick Calendar


So that's my Fab Fall Roundup! Please let me know if there is something that is rocking your world, keeping your days sane, or is a just can't live without item. I need all the help and joy I can get!

No comments:

Post a Comment