Thursday, April 21, 2011

Gelish Manicure: Review



For those not in the know, there is a new nail treatment making the rounds called Shellac. It is a gel based polish system, requiring each coat be set by UV or LED lamp, creating a lasting bond that can last for several weeks, without peeling or chipping, and requiring no acrylic overlay to get a great look and strength. It is removed with an acetone soak, and will not damage the natural nail like an acrylic set.

I have been dying to get a Shellac manicure, and found a local salon that said they offer them, so I made an appointment. I researched the Shellac brand, and when I got to the salon, I was disappointed to see that they do not use Shellac, but another brand called Gelish, from Hand and Nail Harmony. I declined a full manicure and asked that they just do the polish job, to see if I like it.

The manicurist begins by lightly buffing my nails and pushing back my cuticles. She then applied the foundation coat, and I placed my hands under the UV light for 30 seconds. Two coats of color (I selected Hot Rod Red) with a 30 second light setting between each coat, and a final top coat, with 2 minutes under the light to set the polish layers. Afterward, she used a pad with an alcohol solution and rubbed vigorously over each nail to remove the components of the gel that makes the nail tacky. Some cuticle oil, a hand washing, and I was done.

The verdict? I loved the fact that my nails were hard as glass upon completion, no drying time needed. The color is perfect and the time it takes to polish them seems no longer than a typical manicure. The shine is beautiful, and two days later, no chipping or peeling has occurred.

I am disappointed that the salon claimed to use Shellac when they don't, though most reviews of Gelish tout the same results and if one wished to use the product at home, the cost of the polishes are cheaper for more product as well. Also, the salon did not paint close enough to my cuticle, which will require a trip back sooner, and there are bubbles in some of my nails, as a result of a too thick coat. So while I will not use this salon again, as long as I get a two-week wear out of the polish, I will happily look for another establishment when needing a Gelish or other gel manicure. That is, until I buy the UV light and products myself. I do enjoy doing my own beauty treatments, and love the challenge of learning something new.

Cost of mini manicure: 15.00 plus tip, for full Gelish manicure: 28.00 plus tip. As I understand it, prices vary all over the country.

Here is a pic of my nails, please disregard the freakish alien claws that appear to be my hands. Will post another pic in two weeks to update:

1 comment:

  1. Today 10/1/11 I got the Gelish mani in the color Go girl it's a soft pink,it was quicker than a regular mani. The shop I went to also advertised Shellac (they spelled it wrong to) but had Gelish,n also didn't polish close enough to my cuticle :-(,i know now to tell them,TIP NEXT TIME I'm GONNA PUT SUNSCREEN ON SINE THEY USE UV INSTEAD OF LED,Its pretty we'll see how long it lasts fo me

    ReplyDelete