Thursday, April 21, 2011

What's for Dinner: Slow Cooker Pork Roast with Cabbage, Apples, and Prunes

This is my slow cooker version of a recipe by Clotilde Dusoulier, a blogger whose website, Chocolate and Zucchini, totally changed my world. She cooks with fresh seasonal ingredients, humor, and a lot of heart. For a Parisian, that's huge (just kidding Clotilde, I promise I don't call them Freedom Fries). The original recipe can be found at here at her blog, Chocolate and Zucchini, a fantastic foodie wonderland. In addition to this recipe, her Nutella ice cream is fantastic and her yogurt cake is my base for all cakes I bake now. Check her out. Seriously.

Ingredients:
1 pork tenderloin, or pork roast of your choice (boneless)
1 small head of red cabbage, sliced finely
1 tsp. Cajun seasoning
1/4 tsp. cumin
1/8 tsp. ginger
1/8 tsp. cloves
4 cloves garlic, minced
4 prunes, cut into fourths
1 Granny Smith apple, cored and diced, with skin on
1/4 cup red wine (I use Syrah)

Directions:
Place roast into bottom of large slow cooker. Mix together cabbage, apples, and prunes, and arrange around the roast. Sprinkle on seasonings on both cabbage mixture and and roast, and pour wine over the top. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or high for around 5. Stir cabbage mixture to combine seasoning and wine before serving. Serve with a spicy brown mustard like Zatarain's Creole Mustard, which you can find here, and a fresh salad and bread.

The Results:
This is a unique dish, both sweet and savory, and is really interesting if you have never combined the ingredients before. The mustard is a must, and I really enjoy this dish a great deal. Spud likes it too! It is an autumn staple in my home, but I do enjoy it any time of year.

No comments:

Post a Comment