Wednesday, April 6, 2011

What's for Dinner: Slow Cooker Caribbean Pork and Rice

As I seem to find myself at work more than not, I have resorted to making the most of my slow cooker to get dinner on the table. I am to the point where I would much rather "set it and forget it" than drag out my pots and pans and heat the stove, and most of my meals turn out quite delicious. I decided to turn a pork roast into a sweet and spicy meal that didn't break the bank.


SLOW COOKER CARIBBEAN PORK AND RICE

Ingredients:
1/4 cup barbecue sauce (I used Sweet Baby Ray's Honey BBQ Sauce)
3 large carrots, chopped, or 2 cups baby carrots, halved
1 bell pepper, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
1/2 of large can of pineapple tidbits, juice included
3/4 cup water
1 1/4 tsp. Creole seasoning (I use Tony Chachere's)
1 pork shoulder roast, bone out, or pork tenderloin 2-4lb. (or any pork roast of your choosing)

Directions:
1. In a large slow cooker, place vegetables, pineapple, BBQ sauce and water into bottom. Place pork roast into center of veggie mixture.
2. Sprinkle Creole seasoning onto roast and veggies, and stir to combine into veggie mixture.
3. Close lid and cook on low for 6-8 hours, high on 5, until pork is tender. Serve over steamed rice and Hawaiian rolls, or any bread of choice.

The Results:
This was a tasty meal that everyone enjoyed. It is sweet, but not too sweet, and chock full of veggies with a lean cut of meat. I liked the spice kick, but if you feel it may be too much, start with a little less and taste when done, you can always add more if you like!

No comments:

Post a Comment