Monday, April 25, 2011

Special Education Resources for Parents

Though I am not a paid advocate, I am certainly a pretty vocal one when it comes to my daughter's education, and other parents often ask me where I get my information. To be honest, there is so much more to special education law than the little parent's rights guidebook handed to you during an IEP meeting. To that end, I want to share with you the many different resources I have found since my journey into the world of special education. Some of these resources are specific to Louisiana's special education process, and others are national, but please be sure to explore them all, as there are many issues that overlap, regardless of where you may live.


Wrightslaw
A fantastic site run by Pete Wright, a special education attorney. Current case law, Q&A on specific issues to families, and many articles on the IEP process. Pete has also written some of the most comprehensive books on special education law, and hosts conferences to teach parents how to navigate the system. I attended one of his conferences, and it was a life-changing event for me.

National Dissemination Center for Children with Disabilities
A central source of information on disabilities in infants and children. Focused on both IDEA and early intervention programs as well. Spanish information available.

Louisiana Parent Training and Information Center
A statewide resource that offers training to parents seeking to better advocate for their child's education. Advocates from the center may also attend an IEP meeting with a parent to assist in the process. Offered are self-guided trainings, online pajama trainings, and on site trainings available, with a quarterly newsletter and other resources. One of the best places to visit for info, in both English and Spanish.
***Every state receives federal funding to support similar centers. For a listing of centers nationwide, please visit:
http://www.yellowpagesforkids.com/help/ptis.htm

Louisiana Partners in Policymaking
Partners in Policymaking is a national leadership training program for people with developmental disabilities and parents of young children with developmental disabilities. It provides the most current knowledge about disability issues and develops the competencies necessary for effective advocacy to influence public policy at all levels of government. As a graduate of this program, I can tell you I have never learned more, embraced the concept of equality, and felt more empowered to make a difference in the world than I did during my time in Partners. You must apply and be accepted to the program, but believe me, it will change your life.
***The national Partners in Policymaking website:
http://www.partnersinpolicymaking.com/

These are just some of the many resources that have been invaluable to me as I navigate the world of special education and disability advocacy. Please remember, every state has a Department of Education, and usually a website. Don't be afraid to actually check them out. If you have a question and your local Dept. of Sp. Ed. is not helping, call the state. You have a right to as much knowledge as your child's school team in creating the best outcomes for your student. Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment